Thread: 2000 GT Turbo/Clutch Questions

2000 GT Turbo/Clutch Questions

Hey guys so I'm finally slapping a turbo - garrett t4/67 into the ol 2000 GT. From what I know, the estimate of power is that its going to make 480hp/520tq to the crank, about 412whp and 440 wtq @9psi boost

Anyways, I have a few questions

1) I wanted to know if my stock clutch could handle that kind of power for a little while, or if it'll **** the bed instantly. I will 100% change the clutch but I want to get the most out of this one. My clutch is from factory with 120k on it, never really launched it or dumped it really. Always driven pretty conservatively except some pulls here and there.

2) What are your recommendations for good, reliable clutches? Keep in mind I'll be doing some other mods such as long tube headers, off road x pipe, throttle body etc so it won't stay exactly at those figures aforementioned.

3) I've got a Windsor block, not the romeo in my GT. How much boost do you guys recommend? I haven't built the block or done anything to it really. Just a stock block.

I appreciate any and all input! Thanks in advance

Keep it under 10psi, stock clutch should be fine for a while as long as you’re not doing 5k launches. Centerforce would be a great upgrade for your power level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armen
    Ignore him. That guy couldn't say a good think about a Ford if his life depended on it.

factory clutch will hold for a long time IMO but if you take it to a prepped track, say goodbye, especially with slicks or good DRs. When I supercharged my 2000, I switched to the FR King Cobra and it lasted until I started with slicks at the strip and now it gave up this fall...

Good luck and under 10psi and a good tune will keep your block alive for quite a while..

haha not looking to really track it until I get new clutch and other upgrades on it. Just looking for street performance, maybe even some pulls with friends on the highway but thats about it. I will definitely look into centerforce, and I think I'll keep it at 9psi.

pist'n broke member

Orangeville Ont...its not the but hole of Ont...but you can see it from here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Newedge2k View Post
    haha not looking to really track it until I get new clutch and other upgrades on it. Just looking for street performance, maybe even some pulls with friends on the highway but thats about it. I will definitely look into centerforce, and I think I'll keep it at 9psi.
    Im not impressed with CF...mine slipped...heres my theory

turbos make great torque down low...the center force needs revs for the centrifugal weights

to work to provide pressure on the disc...I changed to a SPEC stage three...no problems

BTW I did mine in the fall, McLoed street extreme kit, seemed best bang for the buck..

Thanks guys I will look into those set ups as well! appreciate the help