Thread: Winter tires for OEM wheels - 235/50R/18

Icon5 Winter tires for OEM wheels - 235/50R/18

Hey everyone

I was wondering if I can squeeze some 225/40R/18's on my 2017 mustang GT base, I had to get a smaller profile tire as my current 50R is rubbing on the wheel wells after I had it lowered 1" :(

I was going to pick up these if this place ever picks up the phone:

https://www.bramaleatire.com/product...AW-EXTREME-92H

Thanks everyone!
    2014 Mustang V6 base model with no options
    Roush Axleback mufflers with 3.5" tips (Winters I have stock muffler)
    1 Alpine type R - 500watts rms
    8000K HID Fog lights and headlights
    Boss BV9362BI double din using Metra 99-5823CH

How wide are those rims? Those tires are cheap...wow....I wonder how good they are?

432rwhp/449tq
    12.1 @ 117....Need more practice!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_89_Hatch View Post
    How wide are those rims? Those tires are cheap...wow....I wonder how good they are?
    Hey Slick my factory rims are 8". I had this brand tire on my old 2014 mustang and it handled better than my front wheel drive car!

I went to Bramalea tire but they said dropping from 50R to 40R is a 10% reduction in tire and they will wear out very fast and the speedometer will be off by 9-10km because of the size difference of the tire.

So it looks like I'll probably get the stock springs put back on and get the same size as the factory wheels (235/50R/18) as the lowering springs are causing other issues than this. :(

Your stock 235 tires rub after lowering the car 1"? That doesn't sound right ... people lower the S550 cars at least that much and have wider than stock wheels and rubber without issues ...

To your question, a 225/40R18 likely wouldn't have enough load capacity for a vehicle with the weight of a Mustang, that tire size is intended for much smaller cars. As the guys at Bramalea Tire told you, this is too much of a change in tire size to work properly.
    84 Mustang SVO
    95 Jaguar XJR