Thread: Borla cat back headaches...

Borla cat back headaches...

Hey guys, I've been procrastinating much too long and this will be my first post (outside of my greet message eons ago)... hopefully it doesn't make me out to be the dolt of the month!

So setting some time aside, I finally jumped on installing an exhaust (Borla ATAK cat back) and springs on the wife's '14GT. The exhaust is a "direct bolt on" according to product spec - which I assume means that it is a direct, relatively properly aligning, bolt on! Unfortunately, a few loud words later, after finding that the xpipe doesn't quite align (about 2-2.5 inches too wide), I decided to do what we should never do - let my anger get the best of me and resort to hammering the bastard in. I can't get the exhaust pipes to clear the axles properly just yet (xpipe still pushing too far back), but I'm not far off. That being said, I also don't want to hammer in a direct bolt on kit without seeing if this is a common thing that many others have had to do I had some fun with the LH muffler as well, which again I can remedy but wonder why I would need to with a Borla bolt on kit that cost beyond 2k cdn...

It's been a while since I've done much more than an intake (haven't gotten my hands dirty in 15 years since my last blower install), but I still refuse to believe that I've dumbed down to the point of not being able to align some pipes properly.

So, before I have too many people possibly shake their heads, or suggest that I see someone (therapist, pay a shop, divorce lawyer since I'm messing up the wife's car, etc) I just have to ask - is it typical for these supposedly perfect kits to not quite align out of the box? I presume tolerances vary from car to car so there should be a little play, but to be honest at this point I've wondered whether it wouldn't have just been easier to cut the bastard up and weld it all on the old fashioned way, but then again the reason why I paid the cash was for a bolt on kit, right?

Car is still hoisted and waiting to go for a run once I'm done, would appreciate feedback before I go pounding on the highly priced steel, or Borla's door claiming that their bolt on kit sucks! Thanks

The Borla system that I had installed on a friends Cobra was pretty close.
    My question would be...Did they send you the right parts?

Took a swing at it today and realized there must be something up, so I decided to call Borla. They were great, I've tinkered around with the cat pipe and got the x pipe on, need to cut the borla exhaust pipe a bit, which they admitted can be a little long - an inch or so with the passenger side and I should be good! Need to get to the shop tomorrow to give it that trim otherwise pretty much just a couple minutes of work left

Lesson learned: bolt on exhausts are not always just bolt on and may need some minor cutting work.

Tell me about it... Spent a couple of hours today fighting to install a POS Flowmaster cat-back on my car, bolt on my ass!
    2001 Mustang GT Bullitt, in True Blue
    1990 Mustang LX Coupe, in Twilight Blue

From my experience over the years.....very few bolt on parts are actually bolt on parts.

What's more discouraging is when brand new parts are defective.

same with my magnaflows on my fox, left side exhaust was a pain in the ass. Even my BBK LTHs and shorty H pipe were a pain to bolt together and they are from the same company ffs