Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kit or Fabricated Turbo items?

I have a CG Fab kit going on my motor. I run twin 6266 Precision turbos, twin 46mm Precision WG's. CG Fabrication is pricey especially if you go stainless like myself. Caleb is an amazing fab guy, no complain about his work. Kit bolted together perfectly. Everything actually would hold together even without the v-band clamps. My hot side was $2400 USD with the extra mods I wanted. I use a mishimoto aluminum fox rad for the last 4 years, no issues. cools very well. B&G (Brain) kits are quality build as well as well. He has been building them for 10+ years and guarantee's his work from cracking. I have built two kits in my lifetime. A single kit with a powerstroke turbo and a twin 62mm LS in my Datsun. Honestly its very time consuming and I can guarantee is spent about 400 buying everything.

This would be my budget setup for you

CG Fab Hotside (add the wastegate flange in the order) http://bgturbokits.com/zencart/index...roducts_id=237
    Precision 46mm wastegate (dont cheap on the wastegate, because if they jam shut close.....boom.)
    VS Racing Billet 7875 .96 A/R (quality cheap turbo) Viren sell quality stuff. There forced inductions billet wheel in Chinese housings. LS guys use get everything from him. http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1375
    Ebay intercooler. 3" inlets 3-4" thick, as back as you can fit.

My setup going in my fox.

1993 Fox Coupe Twin Turbo Coyote Build

Quote Originally Posted by juvehab View Post
    So let me get this straight if you piece together a kit. Can you put any type of turbo on it? IE a small turbo taken of lets say a acura rdx? The turbo itself is not car specific?
    Depends on the turbo specs but assuming the turbo is large enough yes. Most of those 4 cylinder cars turbos are too small and you would have to run them as twins. The RDX turbo is variable vein so you couldn't use that one. Some members have used the old turbo coupe turbo's grand national turbos. I believe old turbos are a waste. Brand new turbo for $400 US and it will make more than enough power break your block with ease. http://www.vsracing.net/catalog/prod...oducts_id=1364

pist'n broke member

Orangeville Ont...its not the but hole of Ont...but you can see it from here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    Most of those 4 cylinder cars turbos are too small and you would have to run them as twins.
    often even running them as twins is too small...quick story

when I researched doing a twin set up on my 302 I decided two Volvo turbos off the 5 cylinder car

should work...I found one & was in the process of finding one more (Mitsubishi turbos)...nice turbos

I took the one turbo I had to a race shop that specializes in turbo conversions...& asked the guy

if my idea would work...he just chuckled & said that the two small turbos still would not be sufficient

for a V8 motor...then he said...the one turbo might work well on a bike

its always good to talk to guys that are in the know...they have already figured out what works

It will work, just not as good as you want
    The engine would have e to be pretty stock and it would make huge torque and die off by 5000 rpm. The largest powersports had a 1.10 exhaust housig which worked and a 64mm compressor wheel which also worked but it hit a brick wall at 420 ish wheel. Good enough to run 11's.

In the end with the increase in Chinese quality turbo there's no need. That 7875 for 399 bucks is a steal and guys are making 650-700 tire with them and they spool fast.

Very interesting read. Seems you guys know quite a bit about turbos.

Most stock turbos on 4 cyl in the last 20 years or so were designed to provide low end torque increase, not top end hp.

They are engineered to almost be too small for the stock 4cyl displacement, let alone a performance v8 build.

Engines are air pumps, turbos are also air pumps. Boost is a measurement of intake restriction when the turbo air pump provides more air flow than what the engine air pump can consume. At certain rpm though, a small turbo can no longer provide enough air flow to keep up with the engine. Smaller turbos also have smaller turbine housings which act as a huge restriction on the exhaust. That's why a properly sized turbo is critical to a fun ride.
    I'm not, I already found an 89 roller with similar goodies yours has but I do know someone else who's looking for one. I'll forward him your info.
    Any more info? Details or pics? Price?

I dare ya ... I double dare ya ... TC86GT's Avatar

Since the OP is dealing with trying to turbo a 408 inch motor, I would suggest he get in touch with some of the turbo vendors to find what suits his needs. When I had a relatively healthy 408 years ago, the turbo bug caught me. I was recommended some pretty big stuff, T6 flanged 85-88mm offerings for the basic combo to have it not be a choke on the 7000rpm capable, big inch motor. In the end I broke the block spraying it before it ever became turbocharged LOL!

My suggestion would be to figure out what size turbo(s) suit the needs of the motor and car and then go shopping for an appropriate hotside/coldside to put it all together. A generic T4 based kit likely won't handle the bigger turbos. A big exhaust housing T4 may be suited for a milder motor, but could be a choke on something a bit more lively.

I built my kit on my current '86. Chinese 69mm turbo, flipped shorties that I V-banded, a box of 2.25" mandrel bends and some time. A universal intercooler kit gave me what I needed to put in an air-to-air set-up and ran a single 3.5" downpipe. Other than time I don't have much into the actual turbo kit. I have thought about a bigger/better turbo, but the Chinese GT45 has plenty to blow the block in two. I've run it at 6psi and 9-10psi and the gains of a few pounds of boost have been insane, it hasn't hit it's "sweet" spot yet.

Were running 80mm T6's on little 5.3 LS engines now make big boy power. IMO big boy power is 700+ these days. It's hard, we use to think don't go too big of a turbo and keep exhaust housing relatively small so.it spools quickly, we don't want lag. Now I'm running an exhaust housing that each of my twins that I would used on a single turbo. Interesting thing is that will fully spool by 3800, maybe more with variable cam timing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12