Thread: How to Prepare Your Mustang for a Car Show

Post How to Prepare Your Mustang for a Car Show

How to Prepare Your Mustang for a Car Show
    Written By: Stanley Sadowski

Car shows are a great way to expand your Mustang knowledge. Show cars range from being mildly modded to having a complete, professional rebuild. Every Stang has a story.

Benefits Of Attending A Show

A car show gives you the opportunity to ask other guys some questions you may have about a certain setup and allows you to see different mods in person before choosing to do them to your own Mustang. What’s unique is that while all the cars at a show may be the same model, there will never be two identical cars. Everyone has a different opinion and has chosen their modifications to fit their vision. If you are getting ready to attend a car show these are a few things you may want to consider if you’re looking to take home a trophy.

Make sure you do the following before attending a show or event:

~ Clean and detail your Mustang
    ~ Find out what classes the car show will have
    ~ Find your style and choose your modifications carefully

Detail Your Mustang

Judges count cleanliness. When entering your car into a show it is extremely important to take the time to make sure it’s as clean as possible. Nobody wants to look at a dirty car when the guy next to him spent a whole day detailing. Cleanliness goes a long way in a car show—it shows dedication to maintaining a flawless overall appearance which essentially is what a show is all about.

To clean your car for a show I would highly suggest using a quality wax after a good wash. Not only will a wax add a noticeable shine but it will help keep debris off of the surface of the car. This will allow for an easy wipe down when you arrive at the show, keeping your time spent cleaning your Mustang to a minimum. I would also highly recommend investing in a quick detail spray wax. It does not deliver the same characteristics of a carnauba wax, but it will assist with detailing on-the-go. Since you will be showing off what’s under the hood it is extremely important to give the engine a good detail as well. Use a degreaser to wash off any residue or debris, and you can even consider applying a silicone-free engine dressing to make it shine.

Traditional Car Shows

Most car shows are for all makes and models of cars and trucks. The way a traditional car will be classified is first by splitting up the automobiles by years or into eras. It depends if the show is big enough to have to break the cars into classes but for the most part this is how a usual show will classify a car.

Classic cars (25 years or older) and new generation cars will usually be in separate classes. Within these two classes there will be a stock and a modified class and they will only compete within their designated class. There are also different things judges look at it depending on the class. In a classic car stock class a judge may be more interested in the quality of the original paint and interior while in the new generation class modified class a judge may be more interested in the quality of the build, cleaned up wiring harnesses, and one-of-a-kind modifications.

Mustang Specific Car Shows

In a Mustang or other model specific car show the cars will most likely be broken down into body styles. For example, SN95 Mustangs will only compete against other SN95 body style Mustangs. There will also most likely be a stock and modified class for each body style so a pristine, bone stock 93’ Cobra wouldn’t be competing with somebody’s tubed and caged fox body drag car.

Model specific shows may be a little bit harder to go home with a trophy because there are so many cars just like yours. This is where it is important to truly make your car stand out from the rest of the bunch.

Choosing Your Mustang's Modifications Carefully

While everyone has different taste and opinions in what they think a Mustang should look like in order to be of show quality, there are a few mods that just look like they should have been there to begin with and are accepted by almost all Mustang enthusiasts.

One modification that I personally believe that completely changes the cars appearance would be installing lowering springs. The ride height these cars have from the factory is very close to that of a 4x4 SUV. Lowering the car won’t only approve the appearance but it will improve the handling as well since you are lowering the center of gravity. Another mod to consider would be a shorty antenna. Unless you are trying to reach outer space then I would suggest installing a small, sleek, shorty antenna to give the car a cleaner look.

Rear bumper inserts and blackout or honeycomb panels are great items to change up the rear of the car. The bumper inserts make the already existing ‘Mustang’ or ‘Cobra’ lettering stand out and the trunk lid panels give the back of the car that retro muscle car look that won’t go unnoticed.
    In the Garage: 2011 Mustang GT, Automatic, 4.10 gears, CAI, LT's, X-Pipe, HP Tuners, nGAUGE, some suspension stuff and a small diet

Join the MCA and enter your car in the appropriate class and you will soon learn that cleanliness is arguably the most important thing that gets the highest award.
    The most obscure area of a vehicle will be under scrutiny by the eagle eyed judges. As an example friends 04 Anni Special had points deducted for a dirty key hole on the trunk lid.

87 Notch

No one likes a dirty key hole in the trunk.

How I prepare for a car show... Like the one yesterday.

Saturday: I should clean the car. But lets see what's on Netflix that I can watch again.

Saturday Evening: I should clean the car. But it's supposed to rain so I should wait and see. So lets so what's on Netflix that I can wat... ROLO! STOP PEEING ON THE FLOOR!

Saturday Night... Late: I should go clean the car. It's not raining yet and the forecast looks good. That ice cream was good. But now I'm tired. (Falls asleep on sofa watching Netflix)

Early Sunday Morning: My stomach hurts. Too much ice cream, I guess. It's not raining at all outside. I should go clean the car quick and th... ROLO! I SAID OUTSIDE! PEE OUTSIDE!

Later that morning at the car show: If I use generous amounts of detailer, it should serve just like waterless car wash, right? (Guy beside me in beautifully detailed car gives me a look of bewilderment).

Later still: Finished! Car looks pretty good. What's a few swirls between friends. But now I'm tired (sits down in semi-comfortable folding chair). I wonder if the wifi signal here is strong enough for Netflix...?

"Mustang show, the post was deleted because you can't call a member a "F**king goof" and expect it to not get taken down."

was ... "donna's nightmare II" The Newmare's Avatar

walked outside about 7am yesterday,took a microfiber towel wiped down rain from night before then drove to car show.Think the last time I washed it was a week or so ago!!

2015 Race Red GT
    2012 Ford Focus Titanium
    Not your typical Grandpa!!

87 Notch

Saw someone detailing their ride with blue windex... Probably didn't really read this thread.

pist'n broke member

Orangeville Ont...its not the but hole of Ont...but you can see it from here...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Newmare View Post
    last time I washed it was a week or so ago!!
    havent washed mine in about five years...

calli duster...TW spray detailer...done

car never sees rain

car never sees rain

^^^wish i could say that ..
    top her up with premium

Car Show season is here.
    In the Garage: 2011 Mustang GT, Automatic, 4.10 gears, CAI, LT's, X-Pipe, HP Tuners, nGAUGE, some suspension stuff and a small diet