Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 289 - Any suggestions pls

Thought of pulling the motor also, but its an all matching numbers car and just looking for a lilttle more power she's tired ....

Quote Originally Posted by checkered demon View Post
    You will see more bang for the buck by installing a 4 barrel intake and carb and ignition tuning. Headers will probably not make any difference on a stock 289 2 bbl and may actually lose bottom end torque. If you have a stock type distributor change the springs on the weights - mr gasket spring kit, light one and medium, set initial timing to 12 BTDC. Find a used 4 bbl intake and buy a new Holley 600 vacuum secondary or Edelbrock (carter) of similar cfm and run a big open air cleaner. Up grade to dual exhaust. This should fit you budget and show a noticeable improvement. I would suggest you do a compression or leak down test before spending money on performance upgrades.
    X2 on compression or leak down test before starting, especially if it's tired. More performance will really bring out anything weak in the motor.

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback!

That budget is going to restrict what you do, so you better choose to do this over a couple years. You won't be able to refresh and do the exhaust.

I went with Hooker long tubes ceramic, into single chamber flowmasters and turndowns. It's very loud. But that is your budget right there.

My motor pulls hard, it's got the gt350 which is a 289 with .30 over - Solid lifters - 4 barrel - high compression pistons, a cam and built. It's also got an 8 liter oil pan. Not sure what else the gt350 has special but I think I'll redo it the same when it expires because it's very fun to drive. No idea what it will cost to re-do some day.

In your case, it may be better to find a 302/350/351 and think about a swap. Weigh your options and take your time but plan a bit each year. my .02

Stick a set of aluminum heads, intake carb and exhaust. The head will be a huge improvement, from performance and weight savings, better cooling, better flow and the ablity to run more timing while reducing risk of detonation. I went a set of edelbrock small valve heads on my 289. It was amazing. Went from 180 hp to 300 hp to the rear with factory cam flat tappet hydraulic cam

I did the aluminum heads, better cam, RPM intake manifold and 4100 4 v carb to my 289 years ago but was not satisfied with the power till I built up a 331.
    Mine was with an AOD auto though that eats , more of the horse power than a C-4 or manual.

Most old motors have weak valve springs. Those need to be checked also after the leak down and compression tests.
    If everything else is ok, swapping springs (maybe $200) might allow you to chase the simple bolt on plan with some decent results.

Anything else is nonsense without knowing what you are dealing with. You don't train for a 10km run when you're wheezy and have a broken rib, lol

Having said that, you are in a bit of a pickle between the budget and keeping the motor parts stock. A friend of mine in St. Louis has a 66 GT350 clone with a "289" that's actually a 347 with painted alum heads and intake, so it looks stock, at least to the casual observer. You can always keep those heads in storage due to the matching #s.

I agree with Checkered Demon about the dual plane intake, small vac carb and maybe small headers. If you swap cam and heads later, all that will still work nicely.
    Opinionated beyond the pale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12