Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697172737475767778798081 LastLast

Thread: 87 Cobra R Convertible Build

Enkei 17x10s now fit in the front without a spacer.....that might change with the 315s installed tho

New reversed tie rod mounting to clear the inside of the wheel

Alumimum C channels for the splitter setup:

Inner frame that will need to be squared up and attached to the steering rack L channel and the rad support mounting bracket. Once that is done, the two outer channels will be attached to the edges of the bumper cover and supported from the crash bar mounting pads. Trick will be to have all this squared up in both planes so the splitter can slide in and out. Once that is working, the plan is for 3 positions for the splitter (retracted/flush; street use, and track full downforce) as well as super easy removal. Optimistic? Yes. Will it work?

Stay tuned.........

Oh, found this and decided this was suitable for my various profiles online:

Opinionated beyond the pale

Drivers door is getting some love, courtesy of John Connery:

Splitter Mounting Affair:

Mount mocked up:

Inserted:

Track or Street Mode, still to be determined:

Hidden for trailer or service:

Side View:

Still have to trim the outer guides, attach them as well as the rear of the centre guides, brush all the aluminum parts, and trim and mock up the front bumper cover mounting and support plates. Main thing is it works, and looks like it will do what I intended.

Are you planning an AIX entry for 2018?

Lots of work going in to this one Paul.
    @ St Thomas Raceway Park

🦊

Quote Originally Posted by Chimney View Post
    Are you planning an AIX entry for 2018?

Lots of work going in to this one Paul.
    LOL, only if I want to finish last

Thx, it is endless, but very satisfying to build some special parts that are truly one offs. On your ARP question, no discount, but buying from Summit at 31% exchange rate is about 40% less than getting them locally. It looks like the chassis will have about the same dollar amount of fasteners as the motor......coulda bought a Fox a couple of yrs ago with that dough, lol

Good to see you yesterday Paul and I see what you mean about the mount for the splitter!

Built not bought! Follow this link to my Build Thread for modification details.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

Likewise Scott, you and your car both looked well. Love the socks and shorts look in particular; just like at home for me Hope your knees are better today.

Some Updates:

Fans mounted and wiring harness fastened to shroud:

Bumpsteer kit fixed:

Drivers door prepped, blocked, sealed and first coat of gloss:

315/35 NT01 on Enkei 17x10; 46.5 lbs now, about 4 lbs lighter than the 17x9s with 255/40s and 9 lbs lighter than the old 17x10.5s with the same tire. Losing 26 lbs of rotating mass and overall weight can't be bad; especially while going up 6 tire sizes in the front

Surprisingly, the tire is only pulled in about .68" from rest when mounted on a 10" wheel. Nitto says smallest wheel is 10.5, but this will do nicely for now. Ordered the other pair of wheels yesterday, so will be a square 315/35/17 tire setup all around.

Current Ride height is at least 1.0" too high, the tire and wheel tucks into the flare nicely and clears the front fender without having to pull it out. Once the body and front splitter are on, final ride height will be determined. The wheel well openings allow for a 2" drop from now, which is likely impractical for driving.
    Front coilover springs may move from the current 8" Hypercoil 350s to 6" Eibach 400's I have in the basement. This will move the collar up about one inch from now and may give additional inside tire clearance. If I go this route, the rear springs will need to become 300s from the current 225s. That is all for much later tho.

Coilover clearance is 0.050" which might be too tight, this is without a spacer, so a 4mm would be easy peasy solution if needed at all.

With 1.5" bolt on spacers, the rear track width is now 3" wider than before, and the tires and wheels tuck in nicely inside the flare. Bonus point, these spacers have a smaller hub stick out, meaning the Enkei wheels bolt up without any clearance machining needed. Will be knocking out the studs and running the 3.5" ARP wheel studs. Have to decide if to use nuts to fasten the spacers, and then other nuts for the wheels, or only one set to hold the wheel against the spacer only?

Only fail so far is that Enkei hub adaptors are too small to clear the Mustang hubs, and the aftermarkets ones are a tad to big to sit flush inside the rim. That will be dealt with forthwith.

Scored a set of the elusive Enkei centre caps........they fit! .... have never seen these on a car before

Icon14

Lookin' RADICAL Brother! GOOD JOB!

May I suggest Filip's World Challenge Rear Axle Mod with Race Brembos to complete the Ensemble?

I trust Filip has your financial information so we can go ahead with this little transaction. The CAD $$ is pretty strong at the moment, so this little nugget would be a hair over $ 18 000, with the race Brembos, but without the coilovers, lol

Saw an ACR Viper at the local dealer today. No, I did not buy it, but the sales guy looked nervous, since it was plated...probably thought I was going to rob the stealership.......

Got a few nice shots of the aero, the fender outlets made me wonder if they would be worth cutting into my steel fenders before we sand and polish them one last time.
    Anyone have experience with reduced lift etc or is this like putting lipstick on a hog......much like most of this build, lol

Any experienced comments welcome.

Keep going good brother...great thread and build 🙏🙏

Page 79 of 81 FirstFirst ... 29697172737475767778798081 LastLast